Allow JESUS to be your Lighthouse through the storms of your life


Before you leave, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page for more blessings.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Tongue Tied


Being the youngest and newest Admissions Clerk at a Catholic Hospital, I was determined to prove my worthiness as both an efficient and compassionate co-worker. 

Unfortunately, one such opportunity proved to leave my peers in an alarmed state of surprise and disbelief, not to mention myself! 

I was admitting an exceptionally polite, yet timid teenage boy accompanied by his particularly well mannered father.  As I opened his admission pack to begin the registration process, he excitedly pulled out an old wristband from a previous admission, from his shirt pocket.

“Here,” he said enthusiastically.” I saved this from my last admission so you don’t have to go to the trouble of making me a new one.” Catching me unprepared, I hesitated just long enough for him to proceed with convincing me to use it.

“I’ve kept it clean, and was able to slip it off my wrist so I didn’t have to cut it off. I’ve also kept it inside of a book so it wouldn’t get bent.”

By this time, it was obvious to me that this eager to please young man, went through a lot of work to help me, so I replied with as much gratefulness as I possibly could.

 “Oh, thank you so very much. That was extremely thoughtful of you and if I could use it, I certainly would. Unfortunately, the date, along with your room number is different now, so I have to give you a new one.” 

Immediately hanging his blushing face toward the floor, he quietly apologized. “Oh, yeah, that makes sense. That was pretty stupid of me.”

I was speechless while my heart sank at his obvious dejection and embarrassment, so I went into overdrive in an attempt to make him feel as though he had in fact, done me a favor.

Reaching for his old wristband now sitting crumpled inside both of his closed hands, I fervently replied. “Actually, it will help me find your old chart.”  However, I got tongue-tied, replaced the ch in chart with the f in file, and blurted out the unthinkable!

Horror-struck, I immediately apologized, but with an uncontrolled giggle. “Um, I’m so sorry about that, I guess I really got tongue tied on that one.”  

Continuing to smile at what I obviously found to be somewhat amusing, I was Horror-struck yet once again when I looked around at my co-workers, the patient, and his father and realized that I was the only one smiling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment